3/11/2010

Salmon: To Poach or Not to Poach?

Have you ever poached fish? Poaching fish is easy and delicious. For a healthy post-run meal in a hurry, try poached salmon with green sauce, couscous, and steamed asparagus. Among the most traditional definitions of a complete meal - a protein, a veggie, and a grain - it doesn't get much more classic than this.

Easy Poached Salmon

A salmon filet (I got mine for 3 dollars at the grocery store)
Water
Garlic salt or some other basic meat/veggie seasoning like Emeril's or Tony's
1 tbs. olive oil
Add olive oil to a shallow pan and place over medium heat. Add about 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer. Add fish, sprinkle with garlic salt or other seasoning as desired. Cover and simmer.

Note: I like to use a clear glass lid so I can monitor the progress of my fish as it cooks.

Your cooking time will vary with the thickness of your filet. I tend to look for filets that are of consistent thickness so my fish cooks evenly, though the higher quality filets or salmon steaks are often irregular in thickness. Typically, it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to cook.
For the simplest of entrees, add a squeeze of lemon, and enjoy! For a more decadent option that will delight avocado fans, mix up a quick batch of green sauce and add a few spoon fulls over the fish.
While I don't profess to be a wine expert, a glass of your favorite house wine (Crane Lake's cabernet sauvignon if you are me) is a great addition to this meal. Talk about a week night treat!

0 Responses: