7/18/2010

An Update... And Taco Seasoning

(photo courtesy of Urban Decay)

...and so the sun set on Brooklyn and rose on the other side in Chicago. The move was not terrible, but was followed by the challenge of finding a new job and a new apartment, both of which met with a feisty, albeit lucky, challenger and were conquered. This, my friends, is why I've been so quiet...

Soon, a much welcomed routine will enter back into the equation. We'll move into our new place. My humble dishwasher will be delighted to be replaced by our very own dishwashing machine. And evenings will once again return to routine, a change I plan to welcome like an old friend.

And so in favor of time and simplicity and due to a particularly ugly three hour commute, I've been throwing together simple meals on a whim, if I even have the energy to cook at all. These tacos were particularly tasty.



El Paso would be offended at my use of homemade taco seasoning, but really, who want's to run out to the store at 8 pm on a Tuesday? My thoughts exactly. 


Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix 

  • 1 tbs. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Double, triple, nay quadruple this recipe and store it in a ziplock or spice jar for future taco making. Adjust the seasonings to your liking and sauté a small spoonful with your choice of meat. (Note: amount will vary based on the amount of meat.) I used diced chicken thighs this time, but you could easily use ground or shredded beef, diced chicken breasts, or pork. Take that, El Paso!


0 Responses: