4/10/2010

Portobello & Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich

The other day, I ventured to Murrays' Cheese Shop for lunch. Encouraged by the aroma of stinky goodness upon my arrival, I surveyed the pressed sandwich selection and decided upon the Veggie Bite - complete with goat's milk gouda, artichoke pesto, arugula, and tomato slices. Needless to say, it was a little slice of heaven in my day. Though Thich Nhat Hanh's new book Savor encourages mindful eating, I must admit I'm guilty of the occasional sandwich-on-the-run. The sandwich is a food of convenience, one you can wrap up and haul along, tuck it in your purse or pack, and eat when the time is right. This sandwich was particularly tasty:

Portobello & Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich with Feta and Spinach




Heat a splash of water in a small frying pan with a lid. Steam a washed and stemmed portobello mushroom for 10 minutes or until tender and the juices have released. With the top of the mushroom facing down, add a handful of feta (next time, I'll use goat cheese), and let it melt for a couple of minutes.   
Meanwhile, toast two slices of whole grain bread. Compile your sandwich by stacking roasted red peppers on top of the mushroom and cheese. Top with fresh spinach or arugula. Slice and enjoy!

0 Responses: